These fritters can be made with either spinach or chard. I used chard from my garden, both stems and leaves. Cook them until tender so they are easily pureed. Drain well before combining with the other ingredients.
Makes about 20 small pancakes.
- 2 cups cooked spinach or chard
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- Pinch of cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- Olive oil for frying
- Place the spinach, egg yolks, garlic, flour, baking powder and water in a blender. Blend until fairly smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Place in a mixing bowl.Beat the egg whites until they hold stiff peaks. Beat in the vinegar. Stir a quarter of the egg whites into the spinach mixture and combine lightly. Then fold in the remaining whites.
- Heat ¼ inch of oil in a heavy skillet. Drop spoonfuls of batter and flatten them slightly. Let brown on the bottom, then turn and cook reverse side. Drain on absorbent paper. Continue frying fritters, adding more oil to the skillet as needed. Serve the fritters hot or room temperature.